8.25.2011

Hang Onto Your Hats!

We had an earthquake on Tuesday.  An honest to goodness 5.9 Richter scale earthquake!  We're about 3 hours from the epicenter.  I was at work, felt the floor moving beneath me, and I was scared. I've never felt anything like it.  It was like being in an elevator, but it was the earth beneath us moving, not the lurch you expect when you reach your floor! 

Now we're bracing for Hurricane Irene over the weekend.  Some reports are saying it could hit NC first, go back out to sea, and meet with a warm front directly over top of us (Chesapeake region) that could stall her path.  I'm not liking this one bit.  Being from Michigan, we're not used to any extreme weather (snow storms and relatively mild tornadoes the exception) and we thought the east coast was relatively mild, too, except for the occasional post-hurricane rainfalls.  This week is crazy!  I've read that the Japanese earthquake set the earth's rotation slightly off-kilter and we should expect this craziness as a result.  I'm not sure about that, but it truly has been a year of extremes nationwide.  Could this extreme weather be the "new normal"?   I sure hope not! 

We're leaving Saturday afternoon for a week in the Poconos with my dad's side of the family, but we'll have hubby drop us off and then he'll head back home to hold down the fort before the storm hits.  He'll join us later in the week for some much-needed relaxation.  Time to batten down the hatches (and hope our basement doesn't flood!)  Be safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment