8.05.2011

The Boy with the Amazing Memory


The things that come out of my son’s mouth often surprise me.  He is smart, funny, and more often than not lately… sassy, but the thing that amazes me the most is when he tells us a memory.  My earliest memories start at around three years old and they are very foggy.  I *think* I remember going to see my sister at the hospital with my dad just after she was born.  In this memory, he’s holding me at the nursery window and I’m wearing a yellow dress.  I honestly have no idea if that’s accurate or something I conjured up (dad??), but it’s what I feel like was my earliest memory.  I was 2-1/2 years old. 

My son’s keen memory started before he could speak.  When his Aunt Juju visited us when he was a baby, she played a blinking game with him.  She would blink her eyes and he would blink back.  I didn’t see them playing their little game and only found out about it after she’d left our house.  In fact, if I remember correctly, it was a couple of months later when she was talking to him on the phone.  He was sitting in his high chair, listening to her talk to him and he started blinking his eyes.  I noticed it right away, but didn’t say anything.  He kept doing it.  I told my sister “Bug keeps blinking funny” and she said something along the lines of “Really?!?  We were playing a blinking game when I visited!  Maybe he remembers that?”  He did!  He recognized her voice and was played their game over the phone.  He was between six and nine months old.

  August 2009

As I write this (on Wednesday), we’re on our way to the airport to see my husband’s parents.  They have a long layover before heading to Ireland at an airport just a couple hours from our house and we’re taking the kids to visit with them.  As we started driving, Bug says “I remember I give you my pretzels on the airplane.”  That he did.  “And then I falled asleep.”  Yes, he did.  Bug is 3-1/2 years old.  The last time we flew, he wasn’t yet two.   We flew a lot that summer, getting in a bunch of family visits before we’d have to pay for his seat.  Earlier this week when we talked about our upcoming outing to the airport, he said we have to find the wheels for his car seat.  He remembers that I had a car seat carrier on wheels that he rode through the airpo. By the way, if you travel with a baby or toddler, they are awesome!  Ours broke (we bought it used on ebay) and I threw it away long ago.  I truly am astonished that he can remember it.  I'm blown away that he can remember these things!

No comments:

Post a Comment