1.04.2012

Welcoming a New Year and Thoughts on 2011

Hello, 2012.  Hello, folks who follow my blog.  I've been taking a break from writing for a couple of weeks.  It's been a very busy holiday season of traveling, visitors, and unfortunately, illness.  Nothing major, just colds and stomach bugs, but it sure does take the wind out of your sails.

I won't do a 2011 year-in-review, but I do have some reflections.  It was a year of transitions.  We navigated the waters of parenting two young children while operating a growing family business as well as myself working outside of the home.  "Busy" is a word so often used that I feel its meaning is diminished, but busy was definitely a defining word for us this past year.  Other transitions came for me through major structural and cultural changes at my job, which were unexpected and continue to be challenging.  We also did a lot of upgrades to our home (roof, carpet, windows), which were all necessary, but as home projects tend to, they created periods of upheaval.    

I'd chosen a focus word for 2011 early last year.  It was "Simplicity."  Ironic, given the true nature of 2011 for us, but how totally suitable! My goal for 2011 was to simplify through the purging of stuff and commitments and to generally make life more manageable to allow time and space for the most important things.  To reflect, I feel I did a great job of purging the "stuff" (although I still have more do to, especially now after Christmas. Where or where do we put it all??) and I'll be diving back into Organized Simplicity from time to time this year.  Maybe I'll wait until Spring, when I can throw open the windows!  We did not cut back on our commitments.  2011 was an extremely busy year of obligations (however, all good!) - family trips, my sister's high school graduation, hosting a baby shower in DC (and one yet to do in February!)  As of right now, the only trips we have planned are the February shower in Michigan and subsequently to New Hampshire to meet the new little one in March.  Also, a daytrip to DC in the weeks ahead to visit with friends who were due earlier this week with their first baby.  It might still sound like a lot, but typically by this time, we have the whole year mapped out and it feels really good to not have any commitments beyond these at the moment. It's inevitable that things will be scheduled later in the year, but hopefully 2012 will bring more visitors to us instead.

Even though it's hard for me to say (solely because Bug is now another year older and Button's first year went SO fast), I'm glad to see 2011 come to an end.  It was truly an awesome year, so I don't say that to put it behind me at all, but I'm ready for what 2012 has in store. I hope to find greater balance, more quality time with friends and family, quieter moments, but also more time for play.  I don't do resolutions, but I do appreciate having intentions to focus on and those things sound the most gratifying right now.  Hey, I think I just found my word for 2012...

Balance.

Happy New Year!  Hoping you are blessed with all you need in the year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment