11.10.2011

The Rhythm of Fall

I have a love-hate relationship with fall.   I hate being cold.  And the reason I unfairly dislike fall so much is that it precedes winter.  Cold, dreary, dark endless winter.

I love the fall colors.  The trees are amazingly beautiful right now.  The one outside my office window at work is particularly gorgeous.  It looks like it's on fire, the way the color starts with yellow and gradually become orange then red at the top.  The tree outside our bedroom is always a favorite, too.  It's almost ethereal to sit in the rocking chair of my room nursing the baby at dusk as the evening light reflects from the leaves and into the room.


I love the food.  I love pumpkin, mushrooms and squash, soups and hearty meals like pot pies and casseroles.  Comfort food... building a winter cushion food.

I still don't look forward to winter, but this year I'm giving fall a break.  I'm embracing it.  I'm glad, relieved even, to fall (no pun intended) into a gentler, more forgiving routine... earlier bedtimes, less hustle and bustle, time to cook, play, and rest.  It feels good to have this season upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment